Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Scanner transfer

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Moldy_Rutabaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Hello-
    I'm still trying to work out a means of digitizing film at a higher quality than a videocamera and a sheet of paper gives me. To my knowledge, no one makes a film scanner which will take Super 8 -- yet. Fuji has told me that they will consider it if they have enough requests.
    I'd like to try using a flatbed scanner with a transparency adapter, but in order to get a decently-sized frame, something with at the very least 1200 dpi is needed. Many of these scanners will interpolate up to 9600 dpi, but this is not true resolution-- I think.
    Does anyone out there have experience with this sort of thing, or has tried it?

    Thanks.

    ------------------
    Ken in Alberta

  2. #2
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ken,

    I'm using a flatbed Linotype-Hell Saphir scanner that cost about $1200; it's a 42-bit w/ extremely high res. I use it periodically to scan individual S8 frames & am always amazed at the quality.

    With Tri-X, it picks up the grain, but there's grain in Tri-X to begin with. That's why we love it, right? I like the look myself on photo blowups, & have blown these scans up to 13x17 inch with great effect.

    'Don't know if this helps, but for single frame scans, the Linotype is a marvel. Epson makes an almost identical scanner called the Perfection that now runs about $800, so you don't have to pay millions (just hundreds)!

    /Pat

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ken--

    I know that a true Cine scanner like the SpiritCine made by Philips "scans" the film. These replaced the Bosch FilmReaders because they are much higher quality and resolution. The problem is this--As far as I know they don't make a Super8 gate for them. These machines can go to a tape format or to disk or even straight into you hard drive on a computer. They also cost millions to buy. So, I guess I didn't answer your question either. Good Luck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •